Karen's Reviews > Unfinished Business: What the Dead Can Teach Us About Life

Unfinished Business by James Van Praagh

Jul 19, 2012

bookshelves: life-after-death
Read from July 19 to 29, 2012

I like to believe that James Van Praagh can really see the spirits of people who have died physically. When I read this book, I am persuaded that he does. Part of the persuasion is that his message is so positive. He is continually advising the reader to make amends for past mistakes, forgive wrongs, and understand that our thoughts create our realities. He is so good at explaining the power of our own thoughts and that we can change the experience of our lives through the choices we make about how we will think about and react to life. As a result of reading this book, I've resolved anew to be more aware of my thought patterns and to stop short when I find myself awfulizing about things with negative or worrisome or depressing thoughts. Being positive does make each day better. It doesn't remove the obstacles and difficulties in our lives, but a broader perspective helps lessen the impact of those obstacles and difficulties. The only aspect of this book that I disagree with is the concept of reincarnation. I know that Mr. Van Praagh is utterly convinced that we all go through multiple incarnations on earth to learn various lessons and balance out karma. I don't believe that. I'm quite certain that if he is talking to spirits on the other side of the veil, what he is learning from them is not translating well into a time-bound world. Eternal life is not a concept easily described by those living it and not easily grasped when living in a construct of measured time like we do on earth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unfinished Business.

08/17/2016 marked as: read