Sahana D's Reviews > Drowning Instinct

Drowning Instinct by Ilsa J. Bick

Jul 19, 2012

liked it

Immediate thoughts:
This book was... lighter than i expected. The author chose to tell this story through the reflections of the main character as she recaps the last 2 (or so) years of her life to a tape recorder. This did a couple things:

1. The whole story adopted the dry indifferent tone of the main character in the present. That made it harder to sympathize/connect with the lost insecure abused girl of her past that she is describing. The main character would be describing being molested by a family member one second and then the next she'd be adding some of her own snarky afterthoughts. (view spoiler). I didnt feel anything while/after reading this book. That's pretty bad. I'm an emotional person.

2. It made the whole story less climatic and intense. I wasn't tense at any point. Again not a great sign, i usually get super invested

3. The main characters voice served as a funny and pleasant vehicle to ride through the story in. The fact that the book is one long (one sided) conversation makes it easy to consume considering the content (i read it in one sitting).

It was well written, i enjoyed it, but i doubt ill be thinking about it for days...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drowning Instinct.