Christina McDonald's Reviews > Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed

Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb

bookshelves: nonfiction

Profoundly moving, charming, and thoroughly absorbing, I’m not even exaggerating when I say Lori Gottlieb’s memoir resonated with me deeply. There were so many parts that left me in awe or questioning things in my own life. I even started taking notes, marking phrases, paragraphs and ideas throughout that inspired me and made me think more deeply about how I do things and why.

The book is told in alternating chapters with Lori after her own personal crisis, Wendell, her wise therapist, and interspersed with sessions with her clients. And boy is it told with such empathy! I rooted for every single character, even the very flawed ones. Like with a novel, each character changed throughout the course of the book, overcame their ‘issues’ and were guided to living a more complete life.

Lori has a wonderful gift for speaking in a charming, conversational tone, while still conveying all the compassion and empathy you’d expect from a successful therapist. I laughed, got teary eyed, highlighted, re-read whole pages just to make sure I fully absorbed the context.

Throughout the book, Lori burrows to the very heart of the important questions in life: how we change and grow, why we need to, how we connect with each other, and how to live a more fulfilling life. And through it all, we see her growing and changing, too. This is the book I’ve needed throughout 2020 and didn’t even know it. I’m so glad I found it now. I highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.

Started Reading
December 29, 2020 – Shelved
December 29, 2020 – Shelved as: nonfiction
December 29, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Tracy (new) - added it

Tracy Greer- Hansen This has been on my TBR pile forever. Time to move it up.

Christina McDonald Tracy wrote: "This has been on my TBR pile forever. Time to move it up." I highly recommend it. It really spoke to me so deeply. It's really long, but definitely something you can read, then come back to. I binge read it, though. It was that meaningful to me! :)