Brian's Reviews > Storm of Arranon

Storm of Arranon by R.E. Sheahan

For those who don't like to read long reviews, I can sum this up by saying Storm of Arranon is an incredible read, well worth your time.

That said, Storm of Arranon follows Erynn, a military student on the planet of Korin and the daughter of one of Korin's most famous generals. Her entire life, she has been forced to hide a major secret about her past as well as her mysterious powers that she herself does not even understand. When treachery rears its head in the political powers on Korin, she suddenly finds herself swept into a war in which Korin, and its sister planet of Arranon, are threatened by annihilation. Revelations about Erynn's life comes to light and she soon learns that she has a mysterious connection to Arranon. She finds she may be the key to saving both planets, finding love along the way.

When reading this, I found it hard to believe that it was R.E. Sheahan's debut novel in that her writing style screams of seasoned pro. The balance between detail, story, and characterization is impeccably executed. Nearly all of the characters are deep and complex and grow throughout the story. Though the main villain in the novel does not really share the same level of characterization as the other key players(I'm leaving out the name in case of spoilers), you gain an understanding of him based on the overall story of his people.

When reading Storm of Arranon, the world was brought vividly to life in my mind by the author's wonderfully realized sense of the world(s) they have created. You can tell that an extreme amount of care went into developing Arranon and Korin, whether from the description of species native to the planets, the unique environments, or from the inhabited towns/cities. R.E.Sheahan has invested a level of world building that in no way feels forced or unnatural.

Storm of Arranon is a wonderful sci-fi adventure full of fun, action, and even a little romance. I could see this book making a wonderful movie! Though I hated to see the book end, I was happy to see it left open for further volumes in the series while still wrapping up in a satisfying way. I look forward to the continuation of Erynn's story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm of Arranon.

July 19, 2012 – Started Reading