Katherine Coble's Reviews > The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab

did not like it
bookshelves: library-checkout

This book.
I’m hating it because, as another reviewer perfectly stated, it’s TWEE. But not just “twee”...TWEE AF.

The initial poetic conceit of using first person present tense becomes very wearing after her initial deal is made. I was hoping there would be a change in tense after that but there wasn’t.

The thing is that if we’re supposed to be engaged in this story of a woman who has lived for 300 years I don’t understand why the 2014 Addie is no more interesting and developed a person than the 1714 Addie.

I feel like Schwab was trying to go for a fable-type of story (eg. Uprooted, Bear and Nightingale). The thing about these Strong Woman fables is that you watch the character GROW. You don’t just watch her traipse around time in her freckles, stealing food and making art through her string of lovers.

At the end of the story we’re told about her “cunning” and wisdom but we aren’t really shown it until then.

The idea of this story is interesting. The story itself is not.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue.

December 29, 2020 – Shelved