Adrianna's Reviews > Dragon's Blood

liked it
bookshelves: in-eureka, young-adult, fantasy
Recommended to Adrianna by: Jason Simone
Recommended for: Everyone

This is a story about a boy and his dragon, which takes place in a fantasy time period and setting. Jakkin Stewart lives in slavery with other men and women (they are known as bonders). The only way to get free from bond is to become a master, not only a master of humans but of dragons. The book explores Jakkin's journey into manhood as well as a friendship with a dragon hatchling. The book starts a little slow, but after the first three chapters Jakkin faces hardship after hardship, from stealing an egg to fighting evil drakks. There is even a love interest, a mysterious girl named Akki. Overall, it is a good read for a young adult between the ages of eight and fourteen. Despite being an adult, I enjoyed reading this book. However, I found myself wishing the author had done more with the themes and issues that arose during my reading, such as slavery (the idea of a master and a slave), the treatment of the dragons (both in the pits, the training, and the horrible culling), and finally the achievement of a dream (was it really everything you wanted?). However, since this is the first book of a trilogy, I think Yolen will address the unanswered questions in the later books. Most of my disappointments about Dragon's Blood, though, relate to the way Yolen translated some of the themes for a young person's mindset. Because of this, many of the issues felt diluted or too easily solved.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon's Blood.

November 9, 2008 – Shelved