Res's Reviews > The Pinhoe Egg

Jul 28, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: sff, locus_poll, kidlets-favorites
Read in November, 2007

The one where an entire culture of feuding country witches has grown up under Chrestomanci's nose, but the Castle gets wind of it through the adventures of siblings Marianne and Joe. And Cat hatches a very strange egg.

I always have some vague misgivings about these books -- there's something about the ethics of the Chrestomanci universe(s) that troubles me, but I've never been able to put my finger on exactly what it is. Still, I keep reading them because they're lively and funny and quick to read, and this one is no exception.

Chrestomanci (with his vagueness and his dressing gowns) is as pleasant as always, it's lovely to see Cat come into his own a bit, and I enjoyed destiny-burdened Marianne and Joe working so hard to be a disappointment.

The kidlet thinks this is the funniest thing she ever read, and I hear her upstairs giggling late into the night.

(2007 Locus poll: #6 YA SFF novel)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pinhoe Egg.

message 1: by Kelduiniel (new) - added it

Kelduiniel "there's something about the ethics of the Chrestomanci universe(s) that troubles me, but I've never been able to put my finger on exactly what it is"

I think I agree with you, though I really couldn't put a name on it either. Maybe the fact that there's something a little loose about the problem solving? It does feel to me like in each book people are doing some very bad things which Chrestomanci then comes and magically solves without really addressing how bad they are. Even when he takes away someone's magic as a punishment, it's not very satisfying.

message 2: by Res (new) - rated it 3 stars

Res I'm glad it's not just me! I keep meaning to do a re-read specifically to see if I can figure out what it is, but there are all these books I HAVEN'T already read ...