Jenna's Reviews > The Odyssey

The Odyssey by Homer

Nov 08, 2008

bookshelves: greek

I know, as crazy as it sounds I didn't hate The Odyssey, in fact, at parts, I actually sorta/kinda liked it. I know, crazy. But whatever. Most people know what The Odyssey is about, and if they don't, they will. So, I am not going to waste time explaining it.

For those who have read it, here are my opinions:
Hate Penelope. Period. She is so whiny, and I am probably about to be shunned by the millions of Twilight fans, but she reminds me A LOT of Bella (cringe as fruit flies toward an unsuspecting me. Wow, those Twilighters sure have good aim...) She was always going up to her room crying about how sad her situation was "Poor me, my husband isn't here", or "Why won't these suitors leave me alone, haven't I been through enough." Seriously lady, cry me a river.
Also, why is the word "teeming" on almost every other page? "And Odysseus' great mind teeming...", really, what is up with that?
How come everyone knows everyone elses life story? Was there no privacy? Was nothing sacred?
I think Telemachus was hot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Odyssey.

Maggie Aren't you supposed to already be reading this Jenna? Are you using Cliff Notes for all of our tests??

Collin I LOVE this review, Jenna!

Jenna Maggie: No silly! I read it all... I finished! (YAY)

Collin: I know! Don't you think Telemachus and I make such a cute couple.

Collin yes! just perfect!

Kylie You guys are hilarious. This review is awesome. I noticed the "teeming" thing too; I was so annoyed. But I don't know if I agree with your perception of Penelope. I mean, she loves her husband (soooo much. A bit too much for my taste, but they are kind of cute) and hasn't seen him for how many years? I probably wouldn't be crying after THAT long, but I understand her position.
I'd be pissed with the hot suitors tempting me to cheat on my awesome, hot, mature, and super-ripped husband who I'm also madly in love with. I could never have let them live in my house for that long, which makes me wonder if she wanted them to leave at all, which extremely aggravated me. Like, sleep with one already if you're not going to call in some soldiers to kick them out for you. Quit being a tease. Odysseus had so many people who were faithful to him; why wouldn't she take advantage of that and kick them to the curb?
Anyway, I love the Twilight hate, too. ;)