megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Burning Girls

The Burning Girls by C.J. Tudor

bookshelves: arcs-read

**4.5-stars rounded up**

After a scandal at her church leaves a child dead, unconventional vicar, Jack Brooks, and her teenage daughter, Flo, are relocated to the village of Chapel Croft.

This is quite a shift from their life in Nottingham, but they are both determined to make the best of it.

The location is peaceful, remote and feels a million miles from their old life. Upon arrival, they are a little surprised by the untidy condition of the old chapel and their new residence, but still set on making it work; they really don't have much of a choice.

They also discover that Chapel Croft, like many small towns, has a dark past buried not far from the surface. Five hundred years ago, eight Protestants, including two young girls, were burned at the stake for their beliefs.

This incident has shaped the town in many ways and the descendants of these original martyrs are still held in high regard.

They also have a slightly disturbing tradition of making little stick dolls in memory of The Burning Girls; a few of which Jack and Flo stumble upon shortly after arriving in town.

More recently, the village has been plague by other unfortunate events, like the disappearance of two teen girls thirty-years earlier.

In fact, just two months ago, the previous vicar took his own life. A fact Jack was unaware of when she accepted the position.

The people of the village have been through a lot. Secrets and suspicions abound amongst the residents, and when outsiders move in, it tends to cause quite the stir.

Flo unfortunately runs into the local bullies fairly soon after arriving in town and they latch on to her as their newest target. She also makes a friend, Lucas Wrigley, who because of a neurological disorder, finds himself bullied as well.

For her part, Jack is doing her best to learn what she can about her new congregation and ingratiate herself to its people.

Jack knows establishing strong personal relationships is key. She needs these people to trust her, if this placement is going to last.

However, some folks are easier to appease than others and Jack happens to be hiding a few secrets of her own, including the circumstances surrounding her departure from her former church.

The Burning Girls was such a fun read. It's a slow burn, but once Jack and Flo are settled in their new home, disturbing occurrences begin happening with more regularity.

From there, the pace continues to increase through the jaw-dropping finale.

There's some interesting subplots, where I wondered how it was all going to connect. Once the puzzle pieces fell into place, I was absolutely chilled.

I loved how Tudor brought this all together and honestly, didn't see it coming!

Additionally, I loved the overall atmosphere. Chapel Croft came to life within these pages. It felt ominous; that feeling where you know something is not right, but you can't quite put your finger on it.

There was a tremendous cast of characters. It felt like Jack and Flo against the world, which really increased the intensity. I just wanted them to pack their bags and move!

Thank you so much to the publisher, Ballantine Books, for providing me with a copy of this to read and review.

I had an absolute blast with it and can't wait to pick up more of Tudor's work!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Burning Girls.

December 27, 2020 – Shelved
December 27, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
February 6, 2021 – Started Reading
February 6, 2021 –
8.0% "You know that feeling when you start a book and you can just tell you're going to love it?

Yeah ❤ I have that right now!"
February 7, 2021 –
😱😱😱"
February 20, 2021 –
94.0% "WTF!?!?

😱😱😱😱

I don't think I have ever had chills this bad when realizing something in a story!

Well played, Tudor 🖤🖤"
February 20, 2021 – Shelved as: arcs-read
February 20, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Emerson (new) - added it

Emerson I saw this on the bookshelf at the bookshop here in NZ last week. It's already on my TBR list, but I think I may buy the paperback - I do so prefer a physical book to digital copy and I have high hopes for this one.

megs_bookrack Emerson wrote: "I saw this on the bookshelf at the bookshop here in NZ last week. It's already on my TBR list, but I think I may buy the paperback - I do so prefer a physical book to digital copy and I have high h..."
I love this cover too!

message 3: by Mandy (new) - added it

Mandy Johnson This one looks good!

megs_bookrack Mandy wrote: "This one looks good!" I agree, Mandy. It's sounds very intriguing. I need to finish something so I can start it!

message 5: by Brianna (new) - added it

Brianna So good to hear! I have this on my TBR for #10 of the 2021 52 book challenge!

megs_bookrack Brianna wrote: "So good to hear! I have this on my TBR for #10 of the 2021 52 book challenge!" Oh yayeee, Brianna! I hope you love it and good luck with your challenge! xx

message 7: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Looking forward to hearing your final review. I'm very excited about reading this one x

megs_bookrack Sarah wrote: "Looking forward to hearing your final review. I'm very excited about reading this one x" Thank you so much, Sarah. I am hoping to finish it this weekend when I get so free time. It is super good so far. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The atmosphere is so ominous. I love it!