Debbi's Reviews > The Elegance of the Hedgehog

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery

Nov 08, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, audio, read-in-2011, waste-of-time

quite disappointed. Several reviews mentioned that it was worth it to stick with it to the end, so I did. But, I felt pretty cheated. 3/4 of the book is made up of two intellectual snobs telling us that only they are superior and truly understand the world...the rest are a bunch of selfish buffoons. Do you really think that lowly of the rest of humanity? And, how nice to be told this over and over again by a 12 yr old smarty-pants. The other is a poor concierge who reads philosophy and Tolstoy which, of course, means she knows everything. Yeah, so they become friends and suddenly realize that maybe the world isn't so bad after all. How nice for them. The ending takes the cake for utter disappointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elegance of the Hedgehog.

message 1: by Kyrie (new)

Kyrie Im impressed you're listening to it in French!'

Debbi LOL - no - I don't know how that happened. I clicked on the English version. Will fix it.

message 3: by Kyrie (new)

Kyrie Oh, phooey and here I was being amazed!

message 4: by Mimi (new)

Mimi I liked it, but I was definitely in the minority in my Book Club.
One thing I was shocked by was how few people in my club realized that the different texts meant a different narrator.

Debbi well...that's odd. Especially since it's pretty obvious it is two different people.

However, I listened to it on audio and they used two different actors.

message 6: by Mimi (new)