Marley's Reviews > Perfect Girls, Starving Daughters: The Frightening New Normalcy of Hating Your Body

Perfect Girls, Starving Daughters by Courtney E. Martin

Nov 08, 2008

Read in November, 2008

This was a really fascinating yet depressing look at the body issues of modern women. The author focuses on her own generation, which makes me curious about how this issue has played out throughout time. Being older than the author I know for a fact that eating disorders didn't begin with her generation and I'm pretty sure they didn't begin with mine either. (The history of corsets, foot-binding, et cetera, leave me with a nagging feeling that there was never a time when women didn't obsess and even risk harm for the current fashion.)

Despite the overall sad tone of the book, I find myself wishing that every parent, teacher, and school coach were required to read this book. You're left with this lingering hope that maybe someday, somehow we can get our collective act together and just once raise a generation of young women who don't hate themselves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfect Girls, Starving Daughters.