megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Drowning Kind

The Drowning Kind by Jennifer  McMahon

bookshelves: 2021-mt-tbr-challenge, arcs-read

Sisters, Jax and Lexie, were always close growing up. They spent every summer at their Grandmother's property in Vermont and have great memories of that time.

Lexie, the older of the two, was very different than Jax, however, in a lot of ways. Lexie was more like their father, flighty, free-spirited and at times, manic.

The older the girls got, the more apparent the differences in their personalities became. It was clear Lexie's mental health wasn't stable. She struggled to remain rooted in reality. It became a real problem for her.

Jax was always the more grounded of the two. She followed the rules, excelled in school and became a social worker. Over the past year, she's also been estranged from her sister.

When Jax receives nine calls from Lexie one night, none of which she answers, she assumes Lexie is just having another one of her episodes.

The increasingly frantic messages Lexie leaves don't even make sense. Jax isn't dealing with it. Not her problem.

The following day, Jax receives news that Lexie is dead; drowned in the pool on their Grandmother's estate, Sparrow's Crest, which Lexie had inherited.

Jax is shocked. Why didn't she pick up the phone when Lexie called? Heart-broken and full of regret, Jax makes the journey to Vermont to bury her sister and settled up her affairs.

Once there, reunited with family, including her Aunt and Father, Jax discovers that Lexie had been researching the history of their family and the property.

It turns out Sparrow's Crest has a dark past and it could possibly be linked to Lexie's death. Jax dives into the research herself, mostly centering around the property's infamous swimming pool and the natural spring it is fed from.

As with Jennifer McMahon's other stories, The Drowning Kind follows two timelines. The present, mentioned above, and then a historical perspective focusing on the history of the property.

The more the Reader learns from the historical perspective, the more the pieces of the puzzle begin to fall into place for Jax. It is such a spectacular format. The pace is excellent!

I have found that sometimes when an author tries this dual timeline format, one of the perspectives will be more interesting than the other. Because of that, you rush through one perspective in order to return to the other.

That is definitely not the case here. Both the present and past timelines are equally foreboding and intriguing. I was fully committed to both.

Another aspect of McMahon's work that I always enjoy is her sense of place. Sparrow's Crest is a character within this story. It is so well developed, you can almost hear it talking to you.

The idea that places remember, that pieces of history live on through the land and the structures upon them. I love that whole concept and it is tangible here.

In short, this is a phenomenally constructed multi-generational ghost story that will stick with me for a long time.

The ending, chills. Exceptionally well done. I can certainly say I didn't see it coming!

Thank you so much to the publisher, Simon & Schuster Audio, for providing me with a copy of this to read and review.

I highly recommend it and cannot wait to see what McMahon comes up with next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drowning Kind.

December 26, 2020 – Shelved
December 26, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
March 15, 2021 – Started Reading
March 15, 2021 –
6.0% "Unhealthy sibling relationships? I love to read 'em!"
March 15, 2021 –
16.0% "Jennifer McMahon is definitely among the best of weaving past and present storylines together. It's so good!"
March 17, 2021 –
23.0% "In some books that alternate timelines, I end up preferring one timeline over the other and it makes the narrative unbalanced.

That never happens with McMahon. She gives equal care and importance to both the historical and present timelines. She's really a master at that format."
March 17, 2021 –
49.0% "I have no idea how this is going to turn out, but it sure is getting creepy as heck!"
March 18, 2021 –
71.0% "I currently obsessed by this story. If you loved books like The Sun Down Motel, you absolutely need to have this on your April TBR!!"
March 18, 2021 –
March 20, 2021 –
84.0% "I'll be finishing this today. I am really close to the end and I still have no clue how this one is going to turn out!"
March 20, 2021 – Shelved as: 2021-mt-tbr-challenge
March 20, 2021 – Shelved as: arcs-read
March 20, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

preoccupiedbybooks Yess, I loved this book! 🙌

megs_bookrack preoccupiedbybooks wrote: "Yess, I loved this book! 🙌" Sooooo good!!! That ending, oh my word!

message 3: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole Great review, Megs! Been hearing good things about this one :)

megs_bookrack Nicole wrote: "Great review, Megs! Been hearing good things about this one :)" It was fantastic! I will be writing some more thoughts tonight. I know a ton of people are going to love this one!

message 5: by JanB (new)

JanB I'm glad you 5 star loved this one! Great review!

megs_bookrack JanB wrote: "I'm glad you 5 star loved this one! Great review!"
Thanks so much, Jan! xx

message 7: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. I love your reviews!

megs_bookrack L.A. wrote: "I love your reviews!" Awww, thank you so much, L.A. ❣ That means a lot to me. I appreciate it 🙏 😌

Debra Fabulous review, Meg!

megs_bookrack Debra wrote: "Fabulous review, Meg!" Thank you so much, Debra! xx

message 11: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Clemence I really enjoyed this one, megs! Glad to see you loved it, too!

megs_bookrack Erin wrote: "I really enjoyed this one, megs! Glad to see you loved it, too!" Thank you so much, Erin. It was fantastic!! xx

message 13: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany Excellent review!!

megs_bookrack Brittany wrote: "Excellent review!!" Thank you so much, Brittany. I can't wait for more people to read this one. xx

message 15: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany megs_bookrack wrote: "Brittany wrote: "Excellent review!!" Thank you so much, Brittany. I can't wait for more people to read this one. xx"

I've had it on hold for awhile, so someday I will get to haha

megs_bookrack Brittany wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Brittany wrote: "Excellent review!!" Thank you so much, Brittany. I can't wait for more people to read this one. xx"

I've had it on hold for awhile, so someday I will get to ..."
For some reason, I thought you had already read it. I hope you love it when you get to it. She just creates such an atmosphere!

message 17: by Brittany (new) - added it