Michael's Reviews > Red Moon Rising: Sputnik and the Hidden Rivalries that Ignited the Space Age

Red Moon Rising by Matthew Brzezinski

Nov 08, 2008

bookshelves: non-fiction, spaceflight

If you are looking for a concise and approachable examination of humankind's entry into the Space Age, "Red Moon Rising" is a must-read. Mr. Brzezinski's book is both engaging and informative. The book reads not like a dull historical analysis, but rather an action-packed thriller. Mr. Brzezinski appears to be that rare author who can take seemingly dry historical facts and weave them into an entertaining narrative. I found Mr. Brzezinski's analysis of 1950's media coverage to be particularly interesting. The excitement and fear created by the media of the day is a legacy that is still with us today. It seems that the media was as much of an influence on and creator of public opinion and public perception in the 1950's as it is today. The author also presented a great deal of behind-the-scenes information I did not know before reading "Red Moon Rising". For example, I knew very little about Soviet rocket designer Sergei P. Korolev before reading this book. In addition, I had no idea how close the rocket team of Dr. Wernher von Braun came to being shutout of the early American missile program due to interservice rivalry between the Army, Navy, and Air Force. This book is well worth the reader's time and money.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Moon Rising.

November 8, 2008 – Shelved