Samantha's Reviews > Bruce Lee: A Life

Bruce Lee by Matthew Polly

It probably goes without saying that Bruce Lee was a fascinating person, but having a fascinating subject is only part of writing a great biography. The framing of the story, the selection of the anecdotes to relate, what to put in, what to leave out. All these can make or break a biography. It's a complicated art form and I've read more than a few that were dry as dirt.

Not this one. Beautifully told.

I really liked how balanced this biography felt. We didn't pretend that Lee was a paragon among men who never made any questionable decisions, nor did we pretend his success was mere luck. His career trajectory reveals so much about race in Hollywood (and Hong Kong) and shows how talent alone is not enough to find and sustain success in the highest echelons. The back and side door ways that Lee made his way to fame and fortune showed his perseverance and stubbornness.

This biography was the story of a man, warts and all that neither over-praised nor over-criticized, but showed the contradictions and complications of his life.

I'm left at the end with a desire to read it again, but stop each time one of Lee's roles is mentioned and watch the performance alongside the book. Great book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bruce Lee.

December 26, 2020 – Started Reading