hayden's Reviews > Nightshifted

Nightshifted by Cassie Alexander

1.5 Stars

Nightshifted, while it is a somewhat accurate title, isn't the one I would choose for this book. It's too clever to reflect what's inside. I would at least add a subtitle, something along the lines of "Nightshifted: Crazy Nurse Antics, Random Sex, and A Somewhat Boring Mystery." I think that's a lot more fitting.

Let's delve a bit deeper into the title I just made.

Section 1: Crazy Nurse Antics
Nightshifted was filled with a lot of terminology I wasn't quite familiar with. While I understood the crux of what Cassie Alexander was saying, I would've liked to hear a bit more clarification. I heard a lot of chemical/medicinal names that I didn't understand the meaning of. If you're a hardcore nurse like Alexander is, you'll probably find a lot more meaning.

Section 2: Random Sex
I will give St. Martin's this: the summary on the back of the book is very intriguing. I have to say, I was immediately sucked in when I read it. When I read the back cover, I was willing to hand over my soul just to read a copy of the book. The one thing I feel should've been addressed on the back is the prominent sexual content. If you read the synopsis, sex isn't mentioned once. I was expecting a dry-humored novel about the perils of being a nurse for supernaturals, not a ramped-up, hyper sex book with a little nursing in it. So, in that department, St. Martin's needs to revamp their summaries. (For those of you going "You IDIOT! Look at the cover and notice the almost-boobage you get! Look at how low her jacket is unzipped!", I guess you're right. I was too busy looking at the shadows of the hand and the dragon [which is also worth mentioning: WTF! Dragons?!].)

I was reading the book and quasi-enjoying it, got to around page 53, and all of a sudden "He entered me...". WHAT IS THIS SORCERY, AND WHY WASN'T IT MENTIONED ANYWHERE ON THE BACK COVER. Sherrilyn Kenyon's blurb (the fact that SHERRILYN EFFING [no pun intended] KENYON blurbed this book should've hinted at me, too) said "Dark and clever full moon insanity that will get into your blood, crawl under your skin and haunt your dreams." Sounds awesome and completely non-sexual, right? She should've said "...haunt your dreams and stimulate you below-the-belt." That would've fit better.

Also, the teaser on the front... "Nursing is a tough job... especially when your patients aren't human and want to penetrate you" is better than without the strikethrough.

Section 3: A Somewhat Boring Mystery
Yeah. This element of the story really wasn't needed. The book quickly became a CF of just too many ideas to be likeable. I'm sorry, Cassie. You seem like a cool chick, but this wasn't on top. (Well, technically, it was, or at least Edie was in parts of the novel, but enough with the puns!)

Section 4: The Half-Star
The book does score a half star for some witty lines and generally good writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightshifted.

July 18, 2012 – Started Reading
July 18, 2012 – Shelved
July 18, 2012 –
page 53
16.01% "Good bye, random sex scene. *sigh* -_-'"
July 18, 2012 –
page 53
16.01% "There are 3 things in this book: wacky nurse antics, random-ass sex, and a boring mystery. I'm not a fan of any of them."
July 18, 2012 – Shelved as: smutty-smutty-smutty-smut
July 18, 2012 – Shelved as: gonna-pretend-its-a-standalone
July 18, 2012 – Shelved as: hidden-romance
July 18, 2012 – Shelved as: where-did-that-romance-come-from
July 18, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Rogier (new)

Rogier that bad?

hayden {jordyn}♥ Zombielicious♥ wrote: "Was it all the medical terms? That's what got on my nerves with this book."

I clarified a bit. Hopefully that'll help!

hayden {jordyn}♥ Zombielicious♥ wrote: "I agree the sex scene at the beginning was a bit random but it is an Adult urban fantasy book after all lol"

True. :P I guess I didn't realize that!

Camille I wish I had read this review before I got this book! Your assessment is dead on!

message 5: by Sasha (new)

Sasha  Mizaree (Reviews) well I am glad this is smut because that's exactly what I was hoping this would be