Katy's Reviews > Beyond the Door

Beyond the Door by Phaedra Weldon

Jul 18, 2012

Recommended for: fans of urban fantasy, Zoe Martinique series

Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy Reading Level: Adult

Disclosure: I received the omnibus in which this story resides, Tales of the Abysmal Plane, from the author in exchange for an honest review

Synopsis: Beyond The Door is a bridge piece between Revenant and Geist

Zoë is trapped in the Abysmal Plane and Dags is little more than a doll with the pages of the Grimoire inside of him scrambled, many of them missing. Zoë and Dags' friends believe the Grimoire is the key to helping Zoë, but first they have to find the missing pages and put them back, in order.

But Zoë's mother, Nona, has decided that Dags' body is better kept at the Society house under heavy guard, convinced by her ex-husband – Zoë's father and Ethereal Virtue – that Dags' half-life would be better used as the key to taking control of the Abysmal Plane.

My Thoughts: The editing on this one is really sub-par again, with things like “trader” for “traitor,” “thought” for “though”, wrong verb tenses, things like “in tact” and “hap-hapazard”, the changing of Adiran and his ilk from “Virtures” to “Virtues” and back, and, one of my special pet peeves, the eternally active firefly. See, in Georgia, at least in our area of Georgia, fireflies are active from late May to late June, and at the end of Revenant, it was June, so the fireflies were out. However, this little story supposedly takes place three months later (September), so there would be no fireflies around. Anyway, this is only a sampling of the rampant mistakes in this novella.

However, it is a very interesting story, and if you’re following the series, you definitely do not want to miss this segment, as there are a number of important events in it, without which, I think, Geist would probably lose some of its cohesion. Plus, we learn a bit more about the Ethereal structure, which I think will end up being pretty important. So, mixed review here – good story, important part of the series, but badly in need of further editing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Door.

July 18, 2012 – Shelved