Mei's Reviews > Among Others

Jul 18, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy-and-science-fiction
Read from July 16 to 18, 2012

I'm not quite sure what to make of this book. The main character is a 15 year old girl, who through a series of unfortunate events, is sent to boarding school by her long-absent father. There are a few different elements to this book, which make it a little difficult to describe. There is the 'real' world, in which her life has been troubled (family trouble!) and the difficulties she faces with fitting in at boarding school, and her new boyfriend; there is the world of the books that she reads and breathes; and there is the magic. It is worth reading just for the roll-call of sci-fi (or fantasy, it's debatable in some cases) books that she escapes into, which make her every day life just about bearable. Things happen to her in real life too, but ultimately her reality lies somewhere between Pern and Mordor and that's what made the book so appealing to me.

If you were ever a slightly awkward teenager who spent every free hour, every free minute or second reading everything you could get your hands on and wishing for a different reality, something in this book will appeal to you. I was the child who, at her 7th birthday party, was given some books (Enid Blyton, from what I recall, but my memory plays tricks on me) by one of her guests, and promptly locked herself in her parents' room to read them - and got into a whole heap of trouble for missing my own birthday party. If you're that kind of child, then read this book.

The rest of what happens to her is, I guess, growing up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among Others.