Elle's Reviews > Breakfast at Tiffany's and Three Stories

Breakfast at Tiffany's and Three Stories by Truman Capote

bookshelves: owned-books

It's almost a cliche to say that I love the movie Breakfast At Tiffany's, but I really do. The beauty of the city, Audrey Hepburn's chic style, and the zaniness of the party scene make the movie one that I can watch over and over. I had heard many times that the story the movie was based on was different, but I had never gotten around to reading it. I'm so glad I finally did.

It's an odd story to read, because stretches of the dialogue are word-for-word the same as the movie, and I couldn't help but hear it spoken in Audrey Hepburn's unmistakable voice. And yet the character of Holly Golightly, and the story itself, is so very different from the movie at times as to be jarring. Far rougher around the edges and quite risque for the time period in which it is set (during World War II, not the Korean war as it was in the movie) and when it was written (1958). The Holly Golightly of Capote's story is not Audrey Hepburn and Blake Edwards' somewhat innocent waif who gets her happy ending; instead, she is a much harder, pragmatic, cunning woman who drinks excessively, experiments with drugs, and (as is explicitly stated) sleeps with men for money.

In the end, while I still love the movie for its kitschy romanticism, I equally loved this book for all of its differences from the movie. The frankness of Capote's Holly Golightly was refreshing.

I should also note that the copy of the book I read had three additional short stories. While each was quite good, the standout here is really the title story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakfast at Tiffany's and Three Stories.

July 18, 2012 – Shelved