Maria's Reviews > Shadowland

Shadowland by Meg Cabot

bookshelves: 25-in-2012, young-adult, fantasy
Read 2 times. Last read July 18, 2012.

This is actually my second time reading this book; thanks to a visit to the used-bookstore with friend, and her reading of another series (R. L. Stine's "Fear Street"), I got a major pang of nostalgia and I decided to pick this up again.

Shadowland is a strong book, but still very much a first book in a series. There are many ideas established with the intention of resolving them well into the future. Still, what we are given is entertaining and solid (no ghosts pun intended), so I really didn't mind.

As a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the parallels and similiarities between the two are very evident; the main character not only has a penchant for designer brands and [sometimes] silly puns, but has a research-y girl friend and a wise-cracking guy friend. However, the "spunky teenage heroine" is indeed a trope, prevalent especially in the late 1990s and early 2000s (Veronica Mars, how I miss you too), so this doesn't feel terribly derivative. Considering the lack of moxie in a certain female protagonist in a recent vampire series (you know who and what I'm talking about!), the spunky convention is more than welcome.

Similarities aside, the adventure is fun and her relationships with others are realistic- as realistic as they can be if one can interact with ghosts! The endgame love interest is also incredibly charming, and not just in the ways that teenage girls would adore lol. Additionally, as a Northern Californian, it's fun to see a familiar world. It's very dated though, with some plot points hinging on the fact that she can't call anyone unless she has change to use the payphone. Endearing, right?

Overall, this was a quick and charming read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowland.

Finished Reading