Naomi Blackburn's Reviews > The Lynching of Louie Sam

The Lynching of Louie Sam by Elizabeth   Stewart

Jul 18, 2012

What a dynamic book this was. The story was engrossing and fascinating on many fronts. First, the author sucked me in with the historical perspective of the story. I had never heard of this incredibly sad story of the murder of a 13 year old boy due to mob action and that is where the sadness simply begins. Ms. Stewart slowly, methodically and masterfully unwrapped the storyline to show something much more sinister that was going on in this small town being careful to keep the gut wrenching and spine tingling emotion present.

To boot, Ms. Stewart follows the story with the historical facts behind her book which were as fascinating as her story. Normally, I would skip sections like this but found myself as enthralled with that part of the book as I was the main story.

At 180 some odd pages, this JUVENILE piece of literature showed its' intelligence that quality books targeted towards our youth do not need to have vampires, wolves or popular "mean girls" to be engrossing!

On a side note, there is the instance of the usage of one expletive that personally I found offensive particularly in a book targeted towards young adults. I took the time to check this out with a middle school librarian, a children's librarian and a library director. All assured me that due to the context in which the word was used that it was appropriate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lynching of Louie Sam.