nicoll lu's Reviews > The Dispossessed

The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin

bookshelves: mini-book-club, best-of

The last time I had similar feelings after reading a book was when I finished 1984 – it shook me, made me question the ability of human beings to be truly free. While reading 1984 I was angry, terror and despair overwhelmed me. Dispossessed, however, made me question humanity and society, but in a soft, melancholic way, with no desire for violence – wanting to understand. Yes, I wanted to scream and beg for relief, for hope, but then I realized that hope is always there, always will be there, as long as there are people who see what’s wrong with us as a whole, people who are not afraid to risk themselves and do the right thing.
Dear me, we sure could use several thousand Odonians right now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dispossessed.

Quotes nicoll Liked

Ursula K. Le Guin
“It is our suffering that brings us together. It is not love. Love does not obey the mind, and turns to hate when forced. The bond that binds us is beyond choice. We are brothers. We are brothers in what we share. In pain, which each of us must suffer alone, in hunger, in poverty, in hope, we know our brotherhood. We know it, because we have had to learn it. We know that there is no help for us but from one another, that no hand will save us if we do not reach out our hand. And the hand that you reach out is empty, as mine is. You have nothing. You possess nothing. You own nothing. You are free. All you have is what you are, and what you give.”

Ursula K. Le Guin
“There was a wall. It did not look important. It was built of uncut rocks roughly mortared. An adult could look right over it, and even a child could climb it. Where it crossed the roadway, instead of having a gate it degenerated into mere geometry, a line, an idea of boundary. But the idea was real. It was important. For seven generations there had been nothing in the world more important than that wall.
Like all walls it was ambiguous, two-faced. What was inside it and what was outside it depended upon which side of it you were on.”

Ursula K. Le Guin
“I never thought before," said Tirin unruffled, "of the fact that there are people sitting on a hill, up there, on Urras, looking at Anarres, at us, and saying, 'Look there's the Moon.' Our earth is their Moon; our Moon is their earth."
"Where, then, is Truth?" declaimed Bedap, and yawned.
"In the hill one happens to be sitting on," said Tirin.”

July 18, 2012 – Shelved