Bettina | gothicreads's Reviews > Fifty Words for Snow

Fifty Words for Snow by Nancy   Campbell

bookshelves: english-literature, nature, non-fiction

It is a common idea that there are hundreds of words for snow in the languages of people who live in the arctic circle. Nancy Campell, who also wrote The library of Ice and has been to Greenland several times, now collects words to describe snow from all kinds of languages. Fifty little chapters give an insight into the history and cultures of our planet.
The chapters range from musings about language history to personal accounts of the author – to be fair, this is not what I expected, but I was positively surprised by it. Campbells writing style is easy to read. There is a nagging feeling that she got some minor details in the linguistics not completely right, but that is really nit-picking.

My favourite chapters are the ones about the Estonian jäätee and the Dutch hagelslag. My grandfather was born on Saareemaa, so I have been to Estonia several times and also saw the highway on the Baltic Sea in winter. Nancy Campbells description is spot on!
I would recommend this book to everyone with little time to read. The chapters are very short and entertaining, the knowledge is great. It makes for a nice coffee table book, especially with the dark blue ink and the beautiful snowflake pictures.

Thank you, netgalley, for letting me read this little gem.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Words for Snow.

December 23, 2020 – Shelved