Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > The Rose Code

The Rose Code by Kate Quinn

bookshelves: 2021, 5-fangs, arc, audiobook, best-2021, fantastic, historical-fiction, netgalley, publisher, women-s-fiction

ALL THE STARS!

This is one of the times I didn’t want to let go of the characters. My attachment to them was tangible.

After spending days listening to these three women, I just didn't want to leave and never hear from them again.

Meet the women:

Osla, A Canadian-born debutant, the smart and pretty socialite who wants more in life. In 1939, her friend introduces her to a young Navy officer, Phillip of Greece and she becomes his girlfriend.

Mab, "Queen Mab", who has fought for an education and wants to find a man who can provide for her and her sister Lucy.

Then, there is Beth. She's already considered a spinster. Her mother treats her poorly and she uses the Bible as a physical punishment. Her self-esteem is non-existent.

All three will work at Bletchley Park, the mansion used as the center of the allied code-breaking during the Second World War. Osla will find a place as a linguist. Mab working with fixing the machines used for code-breaking and Beth as a cryptanalyst.

Sworn to secrecy by the Official Secrets Act of 1939, these three women will become fast friends until there is a betrayal. A betrayal that will leave Beth at Clockwell's sanitarium.

Then in 1947, the year that Phillip marries a Queen, a coded message will be delivered to Osla and Mab asking for help. It is a message that neither woman can dismiss before a third one loses her mind for good.

Kate Quinn does a fantastic job at describing these women, their timelines, and their stories. I was wholeheartedly invested in them. I felt their happiness, their sorrows, and their pain.

The secondary characters were excellent too. Mr. Grey, Harry, Boots, all a great addition to the story.

As I get near the end of my review, I can forget to mention the amazing job that Saskia Maarleveld did as a narrator. She was fantastic. I think this book was perfect as an audiobook. 5 stars to her.

One last thing, and just for those curious minds. Osla Benning was a real person. She was fluent in German and she did work at BP.

How many years until I can see the movie?

Cliffhanger: No

5/5 Fangs

A complimentary copy was provided by Harper Audio via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rose Code.

December 23, 2020 – Shelved
February 21, 2021 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
February 21, 2021 – Shelved as: netgalley
February 21, 2021 – Shelved as: publisher
February 21, 2021 – Shelved as: women-s-fiction

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)

❤️ Paulette  Alphas Review Happy Reading

Sheyla ✎ ❤️ Paulette Alphas Review wrote: "Happy Reading"

Thank you, Paulette.

message 3: by Tina (new)

Tina Yay!! 5 stars! Can't wait for your review!

message 4: by C. (new)

C. Well, finding and reading a book like this feels good!

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) So glad you loved this, I adore this author :)

message 6: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly  B Looking forward to your review!

Sheyla ✎ ❤️ Paulette Alphas Review wrote: "Happy Reading"

Thank you! It was a great story.

Sheyla ✎ Tina wrote: "Yay!! 5 stars! Can't wait for your review!"

Thank you, Tina. It was so good.

Sheyla ✎ C. wrote: "Well, finding and reading a book like this feels good!"

Agreed!!!

Sheyla ✎ Dorie - Cats&Books :) wrote: "So glad you loved this, I adore this author :)"

First time reading her, Dorie. Have to go back and read her other work.

Sheyla ✎ Holly wrote: "Looking forward to your review!"

Thank you, Holly.

message 12: by Yun (new)

Yun Glad you enjoyed this one, Sheyla! Terrific review! :)

message 13: by Regina (new)

Regina Compelling review. I didn't realize there was a connection to Prince Phillip in this.

message 14: by Debra (new)

Debra Fantastic review, Sheyla! Glad you enjoyed it!

Sheyla ✎ Yun wrote: "Glad you enjoyed this one, Sheyla! Terrific review! :)"

Thank you, Yun. I loved it.

Sheyla ✎ Regina wrote: "Compelling review. I didn't realize there was a connection to Prince Phillip in this."

Yep and a true story. Osla was his first GF.

Sheyla ✎ Debra wrote: "Fantastic review, Sheyla! Glad you enjoyed it!"

Thank you, Debra.

Marilyn Great review, Sheila! I thought this was one of her best books. Glad we both enjoyed reading it.

message 19: by Beata (new)

Beata Great review, Sheyla! I sure hope to read this book soon! :))

Sheyla ✎ Beata wrote: "Great review, Sheyla! I sure hope to read this book soon! :))"
If you like audiobooks, I strongly recommend the audio. It was fantastic.

Sheyla ✎ Marilyn wrote: "Great review, Sheila! I thought this was one of her best books. Glad we both enjoyed reading it."

It certainly was great.

message 22: by Liz (last edited Feb 22, 2021 05:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz So glad to see you loved it, too. Lovely review.

Sheyla ✎ Liz wrote: "So glad to see. You loved it, too. Lovely review."

Thank you, Liz.

message 24: by Kat (new)

Kat This does sound like it would make a great movie! Nice review, Sheyla!

message 25: by Lori (new) - added it

Lori This is next on my list & I can’t wait! Thanx for the great review.

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael David Great review, Sheyla! I hope you get your wish of a movie adaptation soon. 🤞

message 27: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly  B So excited to see all the stars! Looking forward to this one.

Sheyla ✎ Kat wrote: "This does sound like it would make a great movie! Nice review, Sheyla!"

Especially, the last third. Quite amazing!

Sheyla ✎ Lori wrote: "This is next on my list & I can’t wait! Thanx for the great review."

I hope you love it too.

Sheyla ✎ Michael wrote: "Great review, Sheyla! I hope you get your wish of a movie adaptation soon. 🤞"

I hope someone out there decides to do it. It's so good.

Sheyla ✎ Holly wrote: "So excited to see all the stars! Looking forward to this one."

I hope you can read it soon.

message 32: by Kat (new)

Kat It sounds brilliant, Sheyla! Fantastic review.

Sheyla ✎ Kat wrote: "It sounds brilliant, Sheyla! Fantastic review."
I thought it was amazing. Slow beginning but the last third, was great.

message 34: by Deacon Tom (new)

Deacon Tom F Brilliant review

message 35: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Wonderful review, Sheyla! I'm glad you gave this one a go. I thought it was brilliant and can't wait for another from Kate Quinn.

Sheyla ✎ Deacon Tom wrote: "Brilliant review"

Thank you, Tom.

Sheyla ✎ Christine wrote: "Wonderful review, Sheyla! I'm glad you gave this one a go. I thought it was brilliant and can't wait for another from Kate Quinn."

I'm so happy you liked it too.

message 38: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany Great review!

Sheyla ✎ Brittany wrote: "Great review!"

Thank you, Brittany!