Lisa's Reviews > The Lucky One

The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks

Jul 17, 2012

liked it
Read in July, 2012

I have a confession. I read this book only because I wanted to see the movie...umm hello did you see Zac Efron...let's just say someone isn't in high school anymore.

Anyway I used to read a lot of Nicholas Sparks novels but after awhile they all started sounding the same to me. I would actually get them confused myself when I would talk to people about them. So how did The Lucky One hold up? It was ok, but it still felt formulated and like something I read before. What a complete and utter jerk. Throughout the story there was good character development and Logan and Elizabeth seemed to have some chemistry. Their interactions where a bit awkward at first, but it was the cute kind of awkward of two people who are attracted to each other and are just getting to know one another. I like that Logan was respectful of others, but still held his own ground and refused to be walked over. He was also great with Elizabeth's son and let him just be who he was. I think this is a great quality in a guy that he accepts children for who they are instead of trying to change them. My favorite character was Zeus who was great. I only wish I had a dog that well behaved and trained.

The narrator of this novel, John Bedford Lloyd, had a very pleasant voice. It was deep, a bit rough and slightly southern. Of course the whole time I listened to this novel I was picturing Zac and to me the voice didn't fit him, but that is my fault for already putting a face to a character.

While this book had some good elements it wasn't my favorite, though I am still excited to see the movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lucky One.