Gregory Baird's Reviews > Love That Dog

Nov 07, 2008

bookshelves: 2008-booklist, intermediate
Recommended to Gregory by: Joe Prince
Read in November, 2008

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love That Dog.

message 1: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Only four stars, Gregory?!

Seriously. I had the ugliest cry when reading this book.

message 2: by Gregory (last edited Nov 07, 2008 09:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gregory Baird Did you really? That's adorable.

I, on the other hand, have apparently grown a heart of stone because I didn't even come close to shedding a tear. What an ogre I've become.

Liked this a whole lot, but ultimately I feel like I wanted more. I mean, it only took about a half hour to read. If that makes any sense.

I will definitely be checking out Creech's other books (I picked up a copy of Walk Two Moons at work today), because this one was clever and thoroughly charming. I can't wait to give one with a higher page count a try.

message 3: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Yes. An ugly cry. Not adorable, though. Ugly.

(What can I say? Am sap.)

It is a swift read, yes, but I feel that had she drawn the story out longer, it would have lost its punch and the characters would have devolved. As it stands, the quick, single snapshots we get of Jack are enough (and from what I've heard, Hate That Cat is a terrific follow-up, and we learn more about Jack).

Love Walk Two Moons. Love it.

Gregory Baird The cry may have been ugly but it's still adorable.

You're probably right about drawing the story out. It really did work as a tiny glimpse. You know, the more you get me thinking about it the more I realize that the quality of the writing probably does deserve five stars, my bitchy little gripe about the length being somewhat petty in the end.

It's true, I am an ogre with a heart of stone.
:-)