Jaime Arkin's Reviews > Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls

Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls by Tellulah Darling

So I knew I had to read this book when I saw my BFF tweeting bits and pieces of this and I'm so glad I did because I loved this!!

Sam Cruz is a player... and he is proud of it. Love just isn't in the cards for him. (to say he has commitment issues would be an understatement) He doesn't think he should have to look like the asshole when girls who are well aware of his reputation pull a 180 on him.

Ally Klinger is Sam's best friend, and she's happily filled that role for him, but when she gets dumped she turns to him and begs him to help her become the type of person who can screw around and move on. Sam is given the perfect opportunity to create his idea of the perfect woman, but things quickly get out of hand. Ally is better at the game than he thought she ever would be.

I found myself laughing throughout this story! The characters were high school seniors that acted like high school seniors. Told in alternating points of view from both Ally and Sam these two talked to each other like best friends would. They were crude and funny and I loved it.

The pacing of the story was perfect, and I loved the growth in both Sam and Ally. Sam slowly realizes the error of his ways and there were times I truly felt sad for him because the only real relationship he has is with Ally and quite possibly her mother. Even his dad is only partially present it seems.

I loved the conflicting feelings that we see through Sam's point of View and when the tables were being turned on him for once it was wonderful to see him realize what his actions might have made all those girls feel for once.

The end of this book came way too quick and I swooned hard with the big declaration at the end.

I will say this - as a parent this book made me cringe, and I struggle to think that this is what really happens in high school these days. At least this wasn't my high school experience. One can hope that sex isn't treated in this casual a manner, but I know that I'd probably be disappointed. I tried hard not to read this with my 'mom face' and when I ignored that niggling in my brain I truly enjoyed it.

I was pleasantly surprised by this in the end. It is an entertaining, fun, laugh-out-loud story that I think most people will enjoy. It has a tiny bit of angst, lots of funny and even a bit of romance thrown in there. You must give it a read!

**thank you to netgalley for the advanced copy**

Full review can be found on my blog:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls.

July 17, 2012 – Shelved
July 28, 2012 – Started Reading
July 28, 2012 – Shelved as: ebook-format
July 28, 2012 –
21.0% ""Oh my god!" I wail. "I've got a vullet!" "a what?" he asks. "A vullet. A vaginal mullet. Party in the back business in the front." OMG LAUGHING SO HARD"
July 29, 2012 –
July 29, 2012 – Finished Reading
July 30, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites
July 30, 2012 – Shelved as: stand-alone-books
July 30, 2012 – Shelved as: ya
July 30, 2012 – Shelved as: new-adult
March 26, 2013 –
0.0% "'You can still believe in the power of your magical penis'"
March 26, 2013 –
0.0% ""I've got a vullet!" Lmao"
July 8, 2013 – Shelved as: friends-to-more
August 31, 2014 – Shelved as: boy-narrator
September 28, 2014 – Shelved as: on-my-real-shelves

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Christina *runs to Net Galley*

Kristen I'm glad this one worked for you. The mommy of 2 teens couldn't deal with the reality in this book. Lol. Oh well. I think lots will LOVE this book though. Great review, Jaime!