Kristen's Reviews > Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls

Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls by Tellulah Darling

Jul 17, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: new-adult-college, did-not-finish, friends-to-lovers, humorous, crude-and-vulgar
Read in July, 2012

DNF

I can not bring myself to finish this book! I'm at 75% and I've had enough. Talk about a bunch of crude characters! This is definitely a story about crass high school teenagers behaving amorality.

I love books that are realistic and show the reality of life, but this book felt like I was hanging out with teens that have no other focus in life than talking about sex, behaving crudely, and figuring out how to get into each others pants. All the bed hopping became repulsive.

The basic story is a high school friends-to-lovers plot-line with a nerdish heroine and a manwhoring hero. The book begins with the heroine getting dumped by her boyfriend and asking the hero to teach her how to become the ultimate guy fantasy. A hot girl with a "no strings attached" reputation. The hero and heroine end up sleeping together and the drama that ensues is them trying to keep their friends-with-benefits relationship from destroying their life long friendship. To complicate matters, they both continue to sleep with other people.

The author does a great job writing this story and giving the reader a realistic feel of high school. However, I do not find this type of realism entertaining or fun. I find it offensive, frankly.

This story might be teenage reality, but I do not want to spend my time in these particular characters' heads or in their world. From the few reviews I've read, I know many loved this book. I, unfortunately, was not one of them!

ARC courtesy of Te Da Media via NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls.

07/22/2012
11.0% "Holy crap! This book is full of nothing but crude teenage characters. I'm a little disgusted by it all, frankly." 12 comments
07/22/2012
25.0% "*shakes head* These kids have no morals." 1 comment

message 1: by ... (new) - rated it 4 stars

... I hope you enjoy this, Kristen! It was such a refreshing read.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I just got this one from Netgalley but haven't had a chance to read it yet. The author is actually a friend of mine and such a sweetheart, so I'm afraid to read it! I'm crossing my fingers that I like the book or I'll feel awkward writing the review, haha. Will be looking out for your review.

Kristen Bri wrote: "I hope you enjoy this, Kristen! It was such a refreshing read."

I have a feeling I'll love the book. I like reality in my books.

Kristen Stacia ~ mistress of mediocrity wrote: "I just got this one from Netgalley but haven't had a chance to read it yet. The author is actually a friend of mine and such a sweetheart, so I'm afraid to read it! I'm crossing my fingers that I l..."

Ohhh, that's tricky when reviewing a book for a friend. I honestly don't feel a good friend can give a true and honest review when reading and reviewing a book written by a friend. I know I can't. Lol.

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill Wow, Kristen, your review is very honest. I don't read YA, but I can understand your feelings about the book.

Kristen Thanks Jill. I won't lie. I could not look at this book through any other eyes than a parent. The author is talent but the book did not work for me. It sucks that I got this book from Netgalley. I hate turning in these type of reviews. The publishers probably won't give me another book to read and review.

message 7: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Good honest review Kristen. Urgh, this just sounds all kind of wrong. I would hate to think my kids are getting up to this sort of thing. Scary!

Kristen Thanks Wendy. I know what you mean. Maybe it's my age but I couldn't shut off the mom in me having a fit over these characters behavior.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Good and honest review, Kristen!

Kristen Thanks Anna. What sucks is the book came from Netgalley. Oh well.

message 11: by Karla (new)

Karla As always a great review! You let us know EXACTLY what you didn't care, for in a well thought out courteous manner. You know what you like, and this isn't it!

Kristen Thank you, Karla. I tried to give an honest but respectful review. I'm glad you feel I accomplish that goal.

message 13: by Baba (new)

Baba  Very good and honest review, Kristen! BTW, when you will reply to my comment I won't get a notification. So, don't be offended if I don't comment anymore. I'm just never up to date anymore. This sucks. May I repeat it??? This sucks!!!

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Yep, we certainly don't need crude characters in a book to remind us we could just be watching reality tv instead! Thanks, Kristen!

Kristen Baba wrote: "Very good and honest review, Kristen! BTW, when you will reply to my comment I won't get a notification. So, don't be offended if I don't comment anymore. I'm just never up to date anymore. This su..."

Thanks Baba. No worries about the alert fail and not responding. I'm finally getting random alerts. This whole alert issue has been awful. ((hugs))

Kristen Leslie wrote: "Yep, we certainly don't need crude characters in a book to remind us we could just be watching reality tv instead! Thanks, Kristen!"

Exactly! I don't want to read what I'm trying to protect my kids from. Of course, that's a pipe dream but I still...

message 17: by ... (new) - rated it 4 stars

... Nice review, Kristen. I'm still bummed you didn't enjoy this book. Hopefully another from the New Adult genre will be to your liking. :)

Kristen Thanks Bri. I really tried but I couldn't get the parent in me to stop reading rearing her head. Lol. I agree with what you said in your review. This book is the most realistic ya I've read. These kids felt like real teens. I love this new genre. I will definitely be reading more from it.

message 19: by Alina (new)

Alina Hi Kristen, I was wondering where you found this book because I could not find this book no matter where I searched :(

Kristen alina wrote: "Hi Kristen, I was wondering where you found this book because I could not find this book no matter where I searched :("

I got it off Netgalley. It was an ARC. If you can't find it on Amazon, it may not be available anymore. Sorry.

message 21: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Hull Sadly that is how teens and relationships are these days. Everyone just wants to screw around instead of having a real relationship.

Kristen Brittany wrote: "Sadly that is how teens and relationships are these days. Everyone just wants to screw around instead of having a real relationship."

Not all teens are this way but sadly a lot are. Thanks for your comment, Brittany. ❤️