Dave's Reviews > The Paris Hours

The Paris Hours by Alex George

it was ok
bookshelves: adult-fiction

Without a doubt, the prose in this novel was exquisite. The turns of phrase and eloquent descriptions had these stories bordering on poetry. It was one of the few times that I actually enjoyed reading a book on an e-reader over a physical copy, since I was able to look up the meaning of words easily and often.

Unfortunately, for me, the mix of the four separate story lines that encompass this story was incredibly confusing to follow and keep straight. I am not sure whether it was due to my lack of focus or disjointed reading schedule, but I found myself, at times, contemplating the timelines and individual details of a particular character instead of becoming absorbed in the story itself.

Each of the four characters did have an interesting story to share, but I never did become fully engrossed in any one of them for long enough, perhaps due to the quick nature of each chapter, always moving from one plot line to the next.

All that aside, I was willing to overlook those disappointments because I looked forward to the coming together and resolution that I hoped to reach by the final page of the book. When I turned that last page, however, and realized that a gaping hole was left in the resolution department, I felt slightly cheated. Each chapter ended with a cliffhanger, promising a little more information in the next one. It was a recurring theme, chapter after chapter, even up until and including the final one.

I loved the setting and timeframe of this novel. The plight of each character is as relevant today as it was in the 1920s. In that respect, I appreciate this book for the way it reaffirms the importance of inspecting elements of the human condition and how we are all interconnected in fascinating ways. Unfortunately, in the end, quite literally, my fascination with the overall story did not follow suit.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Paris Hours.

December 22, 2020 – Started Reading