Josh's Reviews > Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Nov 06, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: thriller, tv-movie-tie-ins, read-in-2008
Read in November, 2008

I made sure to read this after I had seen the movie because I did not want to know any details about the movie. I always do that, so I can be surprised. Having seen the film I knew the basic outline of the story, but there was enough different in this book to make reading it interesting. What stood out for me was that I had heard James Rollins discuss writing this book at one of his book signings and he said he had been given an advance copy of the film's script. Knowing this makes me wonder why there are so many details that don't match up with the film. Certain events from the film are not included in the book and vice versa. Some events are out of sequence, while other events are completely different from what ended up in the finished film. It's fascinating to see how this happened. Here are two versions of the same but different story. I did enjoy some of the character ruminations and the humor. I think Rollins was a good pick to write or flesh out the story because it's in the same vein as everything else he has written. However, I would not classify this as one of Rollins's better books, which may be the result of being so constrained by the script and Lucas and Speilberg. He had a story and he had to stick to it. Usually, I feel the book is better than the movie, but here I believe the movie is better than the book. Since I read everything by Rollins though, I had to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.