Luna's Reviews > An Orchestra of Minorities

An Orchestra of Minorities by Chigozie Obioma

it was ok

So, this is a very imaginative story. I really loved the premise of the tale and I really enjoyed that it was narrated by a guardian spirit called a chi. The writing itself was really wonderful and I think the author has a gift for sure. I would really like to see what else they have written because the writing is that good.

Unfortunately there were a few things I personally could not get over. The use of a really inappropriate word that honestly has no business being in a book published in 2019, so many other words could have been used to get the point across with ease. Secondly, this was said to be an interpretation of the Oddesey and I did not pick up on it personally, but I am very open to being wrong about this. If you have read it and I just missed it, please let me know.

Also, this book was filled with female objectification and I can only hope that the authors purpose in this is to bring light to this. The main character cannot take any responsibility and is pig headed. He commits a horrible act who hurts someone he is meant to "love". I put it into quotes because it isn't love. The women in this novel are nothing more than their use to the main character. I had such high hopes for this novel, while I did not like this tale at all I will be checking out the authors other work because their writing itself was done very well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Orchestra of Minorities.

December 21, 2020 – Started Reading
December 21, 2020 – Shelved
December 21, 2020 –
page 49
10.56% "I'm sorry, what word did you just use in a book written in 2019?!"
December 21, 2020 – Finished Reading