Diana V.'s Reviews > My People

My People by Langston Hughes

F 50x66

Point of View: First Person
Lexile Level:

Organization/ Unique Features: Langston Hughes' simple, yet powerful words in "My People" are portrayed in this photographic book. Each image captures the essence of being a black American today. As a whole, "My People" celebrates our differences and commonalities and is emotionally moving, inspirational with unique artwork, has a message or learning in it, and speaks about being part of a group of people without loosing one's uniqueness.

Main Ideas:
Identity
Celebrating our differences
Race

Recommended: I would recommend "My People" as a read-out loud for young readers. The luminous and relevant photographs would allow students to visualize the words of the poem along with its meaning. By reading this book, students will be able to recognize that one's people can be: friends, neighbors, classmates, or a stranger, who have share an ethnicity, yet each individuals has their own individuality.

Personal Reaction: Through reading "My People," I began to realize the importance of finding oneself in relation to our people. Langston Hughes' words, as the photographer describes wrote this poem to celebrate the pride he had for his black brothers and sisters. Although, most, but not all would argue that this poem solely celebrates African American ethnicity, I consider that "My People" allows the reader to situate himself/herself in relation to their own society and ethnicity, despite their cultural and/or racial background. Therefore, reading this book would be empower and encourage students to understand their themselves in relation to their racial, ethnic, and cultural context.

Satisfying Concluding Statement: Learning about each other without forgetting about the self.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My People.

Finished Reading