Michael's Reviews > Bad Monkeys

Jul 28, 2007

liked it
Recommended for: fans of Robert Anton Wilson
Read in September, 2007

Ultimately I found the book disappointing, especially when I compare it to Ruff's last two books - Set This House in Order in particular. I also didn't know what the deal was with the weird publishing format of the book - semi-softcover, half-width, like it was some kind of technical manual or a Michelin guide.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Monkeys.

message 1: by Jeff (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:45AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeff I have to admit, I was pretty disappointed in this one. I absolutely LOVED "Set This House in Order" and feel that Ruff is a talented writer, who adores bringing readers on a tumultuous, unexpected, twisted journey. All in all, I felt that "Bad Monkeys" was a great premise that went everywhere and nowhere all at once.

message 2: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael There aren't any actual monkeys in the book, I promise!

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 05, 2007 10:22AM) (new)

"You know that I once suffered youthful emotional trauma at the hands (paws?) of a hedonistic, perverted little simian, don't you?"

While I won't be throwing this book onto my 'to read' shelf anytime soon, I nonetheless feel that there is a story out there calling my name.

Care to share with the rest of the class Tracy?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow. Just Wow. If there's anyone reading this thread who hasn't had the pleasure of reading Tracy's review of the Wiz (no pun intended), I cannot suggest it strongly enough.

My new favorite review ever.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd refrain if I were you, I hear that's the kind of activity that gets the monkeys in a lather.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

If I were a monkey, I would be staring RIGHT AT TRACY'S LONG, LUXURIOUS HAIR right this second.

message 7: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Michael I've heard this is great for the first half and then spirals into tepidness. Which is sad cause it just screams "PIKC ME UP!!!" with it's odd format and cool layout.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

The answer, Tracy, is, yes, yes, I must.

Have you watched _Invaders From Mars_ yet? After you guys waxed on and on about how great _Lady in the Water_ was, I bought a cheap copy on Amazon.

Made it 30 minutes in.

Wife and I?

Stone-cold bored.

message 9: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Michael I just rented L in the W, havent seen it since theaters but i remember really enjoying it.... just have to hang with it...

message 10: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael Michael, what you heard about the book is pretty accurate. Great ideas are introduced but not explored fully. We should dub this 'Not the Book I Thought It Would Be' Syndrome. I run into this syndrome a lot lately ... another book I'm reading right now has this problem. :P

message 11: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Michael Michael, try out The Raw Shark Texts. That has some very unique ideas explored and continues to just get crazier and crazier rigth up till the end. i highly recommend it.