Jennifer Lavoie's Reviews > The Riddle of the Sands

The Riddle of the Sands by Geoffrey Knight

Jul 16, 2012

bookshelves: adventure, crime, gay, historical, person-library, lgbt, mystery

I usually like to read series in order, however when I bought this book I didn't know it was the second in a series. I also couldn't find the first book in a bookstore, and rather than wait to order the first, I figured I would just read it anyway.

Though there are a lot of characters that are likely introduced and discussed in the first book, after a few chapters I didn't have a hard time distinguishing one from the other.

I thought the action was fast-paced and thrilling. I found myself often scanning ahead of myself because I couldn't keep up with the reading at certain points because of how action-packed it was!

Will was an interesting character. I would like to know more about him, but I felt that his past came to light in this book as compared to other characters. Clearly he has a bad relationship with his father that does not seem to be mended despite events in this book.

Luca is an enigma. Who is he searching for? Why?

Shane is interesting and I would like to know more about his background.

Daniel... is he going to be added to Fathom's Five now? Or is he just remaining in the background or disappearing all together?

And Eden was fascinating. He fell for what seemed like an obvious trap to me, which made him a little more human than the others seemed a times.

Finally, Jake and Sammy. What exactly IS their relationship? What, besides being similar, does Jake take Sammy in? And why would Perron target him?

It was interesting, and I wish a little more had been divulged.

The ONLY issue I had with the book was very small but it irked me nevertheless. At one point, Sam and the Professor are locked in a library. Professor takes a book off the shelf - Hemingway - and makes a comment about something Hemingway said at then reverses it to suit his needs before chucking the book at Sam's head.

How the hell did he know it was a Hemingway book he had grabbed if he is blind? I can even accept him hitting Sam in the head over knowing the author of the book. Unless it was in braille or the name was very distinctly written on the side... I don't know. Just one little thing but it stuck with me the entire book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Riddle of the Sands.

July 16, 2012 – Started Reading