Brooke Nadzam's Reviews > Gaviotas: A Village to Reinvent the World

Gaviotas by Alan Weisman

Nov 06, 2008

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read August 18, 2010.

Read this for a second time. It has some inspirational parts, but also some parts that make you sad...making it quite the real story! What I got out of it this time was that there were tons of "morals to the story". My idea this year for a beginning of the year test is to write otu the morals I saw and then have them see how those morals apply to what they read. Should be an interesting application of thier knowledge in a way they can use to future experiments.

2016 Reading: again, it's a inspiring tale, though I was glad that having read it before allowed me to read it much more quickly this time. What I got out of this reading most happens at the end of the story. Lagari is looking around, and he begins to talk about the future. His idea of living today in a way that brings about that 'Topia is great. One thing I wish I had more of in my life is the ability to dream. It's what made for their great success. But, like so many, I am caught up in my life now, and I have no time to develop my imagination for what could be. I could never develop a Gaviotas in my mind right now. And for that lack of imagination, I mourn right now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gaviotas.

Finished Reading