Sam's Reviews > The Golden Khan

The Golden Khan by A.H. Wang

Read 2 times

*Slow Clap*

Brilliant.

I haven't read a book that has kept me burning the midnight oil in a long long time.

I gave the first book in this series 4 stars and I can comfortably say that this latest addition far exceeds any expectation I had for a sequel. As they say, so many authors struggle with their sophomore offering but A.H. Wang has really nailed it.

I have received this book as an ARC in return for an honest review.

As expected, the second novel in the series continues on with Professor Georgia Lee's adventure. Georgia is a great character and I love how the the author depicts her as first and foremost a highly intelligent, brilliant, nerdy academic who just so happens to have a bit of beauty about her.

The pacing of the novel is spot on. I felt that in the first book, the pacing was a little bit off. But in this latest offering, the author has really taken command of her storytelling abilities. From start to finish, I was on the edge. I do not recommend anyone starting this book at 9pm at night as you will have real difficulty putting it down.

I feel that this book can easily be read as a stand alone novel. The author has given enough background information throughout the novel that details the important information from the first book. In saying that, you will have a more rewarding experience if you read the first book in the series!

As with the first book, you can really see the research the author has done to write this novel. I almost felt as if I had been transported to Mongolia such were the vivid descriptions of the landscape, people and cultural traditions. It made me really want to travel to Mongolia and visit all the places described in the book! I loved the history side of the book and one of the reasons why I took a bit longer reading this book was because I was always getting caught on a side quest looking up Wikipedia articles about the Yuan Dynasty or Mongolian Shamanism etc etc.

I felt that all the characters in the book were well fleshed out. I appreciated that the author really tried to give the side characters a voice which really helped expand their relationship with main characters. I particularly enjoyed one of our new main characters and the Star Wars-esque twist at the end. And talking about Star Wars - one of my favourite lines in the book is:

"Love is your lightsaber. It is the only thing that wins in the end, the only thing that can transcend death."

The conclusion of the novel was both satisfactory yet unexpected. I was actually anticipating perhaps the return of an old enemy but what the author has given us is much more cathartic and really makes me want to read the next book in the series as soon as possible. There is still so much I feel we do not know about Professor Georgia Lee and I think the author will really enjoy expanding on her main character in the next book.

All in all, a terrific read for anyone interested in a fast-paced, well researched adventure-mystery with an amazingly intelligent and interesting female protagonist.

Bravo!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Khan.

Finished Reading