Maggi Nimmo's Reviews > The Golden Khan

The Golden Khan by A.H. Wang

U 50x66

There’s a new kid on the block, and she’s an amazing story teller. The first book in this series, the Imperial Alchemist follows the adventures of Professor Georgia Lee an archeologist hired to search for an ancient Chinese elixir. She is the quintessential heroine and she captured my imagination. The story was a page turning journey through great eons of Chinese, Japanese and Taiwanese history as well as the lives of well drawn heroes and villeins. Part rollicking non stop adventure and in a large part an psychological exploration of the depths of a complex heroine. The story completes itself but there is so much more.
The second book with the same main character explores the ramifications and complications arising from the first book’s events. Even though I was really looking forward to reading The Golden Kahn I wasn't expecting it to be so enthralling. A story set within the Mongolian steppes and mountains. The descriptions of the landscape pulled my imagination along for a visual ride. A different set of ancillary characters each an archetype, expressively rendered, each character essential to the advancement of the plot. Again Professor Georgia Lee is searching for archeological relics and hidden histories. The inner press of anticipation as each unread page was turned kept me up at night.
Part fantasy, part historical romance, part magical and definitely an adventure. I haven’t been as enthralled by a book(s) in years. A much needed mental and imaginative stretch. Sheer reading pleasure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Khan.

Finished Reading