Joel's Reviews > Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel

Vagabonding by Rolf Potts

Nov 05, 2008

bookshelves: travel
Read in December, 2008

Quick read on the practical side of preparing for long-term travel (anything six weeks or longer by his definition.) It covers things to do in advance of your trip, discusses things you'll likely run into on the road and concludes with a brief section on how to handle having to come back home. Some stuff seems kind of common sense, but it's probably best to include that kind of stuff in a guidebook since this is aimed at the neophyte traveler as well as those with a bit more experience.

In addition to practical advice, there are also lists of both print and electronic resources as well as anecdotes from Potts' travels and excerpts from the works of famous travelers. I can't imagine there's a lot here for the seasoned vagabonder, but it was still helpful for someone like myself that has a month or so of experience of solo foreign travel. Potts also covers traveling with others, but this strikes me primarily as being intended for the solo traveler.

Practical and inspirational, I can definitely see using this as a reference work to help prepare myself for future travels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vagabonding.

Quotes Joel Liked

Rolf Potts
“The value of your travels does not hinge on how many stamps you have in your passport when you get home -- and the slow nuanced experience of a single country is always better than the hurried, superficial experience of forty countries.”
Rolf Potts, Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel