Anthea Carson's Reviews > Chaplin: A Life

Chaplin by Stephen Weissman

Jul 16, 2012

Charlie Chaplin isn't just part of Hollywood history, he IS Hollywood History. Any depiction of Hollywood could likely include his hat and cane image. An impression of Charlie's character, the little tramp, one hundred years later would still be immediately recognized.

I never had much of an interest in him but I certainly knew who he was, and I would imagine that's how most people feel about Charlie Chaplin. On a whim, and because it was free on Netflix I watched the movie Chaplin with Robert Downey Jr recently, which peaked my interest in both Chaplin and the academy award winning actor who played him. So when I passed by the book Chaplin: A Life by Stephen Weissman I picked it up out of curiosity.

One of the things that intrigued me the most about Chaplin had been the love story of this girl he saw only a few times and couldn't forget for the rest of his life. There was something romantic and tragic about this that appealed to the story teller in me.

After reading Chaplin: A Life I am more intrigued than ever with this mysterious person who created the iconic character of the little tramp. It is very heart wrenching to know the childhood from which this creation emerged. His was a childhood so full of pain and tragedy it is hard to imagine. But he took that pain and turned it into art. And he was one of the greatest artists of all time, in my opinion, now that I have studied him a bit more, and watched some of his films like City Lights and The Kid.

I highly recommend this book to anyone even slightly interested in the history of Hollywood and film.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chaplin.