Jo Barton's Reviews > Thy Neighbor

2090731
Jul 16, 2012

liked it
Read on August 09, 2012

This is a difficult book to enjoy as the main protagonist Nick Walsh is not a likeable character. He is cynical and disillusioned and deeply flawed. He is truly overwhelmed by the grief he feels for the loss of his parents, and yet underneath the facade is a vulnerability which at times cuts through his tactless and often blundering behaviour.
This is Norah Vincent’s debut novel, undeniably there are some flashes of brilliance, but there is also a lot to disturb the mind, and make the reader just a little uncomfortable. Whilst I’m not suggesting that this is a negative, I feel I must say that it took me a while to get used to the way in which the story developed.
Overall, this was a multifaceted and tricky book, the characters show a complexity that I struggled to understand, and I’m not altogether sure I really understood why Nick behaved as he did, but it certainly makes you think about human behaviour.

My thanks to NetGalley and Penguin Group USA for an advance e-copy to read and review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thy Neighbor.