Mskychick's Reviews > Deadly Descent

Deadly Descent by Kaylea Cross

4-1/2 stars

I won this ebook from a giveaway through ExLibris. I have read 5 of Kaylea Cross' other books. The first book I read by her was Darkest Caress, a book from 2012 which I really liked. On the basis of that book, I bought her series of 5 books (that doesn't have a series name, but starts with Out of Her League and ends in Absolution) and stockpiled them for my vacation last week. I have to say I was very disappointed with that series of 5 books. There were so many medical errors in them, and many things that I felt were militarily highly implausible. To top it all off, the women kept doing incredibly stupid things to put themselves in danger, which just pissed me off. I kept rolling my eyes and complaining to my spouse while I was reading them.

Now that I've ranted about that, let me say that I was leary starting Deadly Descent, but Kaylea Cross has completely redeemed herself in this book. I feel the writing is much more mature, and the scenarios much more plausible. She lists several military sources in the dedication that she used for reference, and this later work feels much more researched and accurate. Granted, I don't have the military background to know if the details are true, but at least in this book I am not saying to myself constantly, "There's no way that happened!" There is a richness to the descriptions that was lacking in previous books. I have not come up with any significant medical inaccuracies in this book. I very much enjoyed this book, and WOULD definitely recommend this book to others.

I started out thinking this was going to be a pretty kick ass heroine. Devon turned out to not be as overall kick ass as I thought she was going to be based on the beginning of the book, but to me that made her more real and more believable. She was a great helicopter pilot, and demonstrated a ton of grit. She was not very trained in hand to hand combat maneuvers or shooting as I expected, and she was pretty emotional. I kept expecting her to get in trouble with the officers above her given how much she fell apart a couple of times, but it emphasized how much in love with Cam she was. I thought the tension in how she felt she should act as a female in a combat area, and the pressure that other females in the combat zone put on each other on how to act vis a vis men, felt very appropriate.

This book had a lot more military action than romance, and the romance was fairly understated when it did occur. When Devon and Cam get their HEA at the end of the book, they do have some action in bed, but the sex scenes were realistic. None of this, oh, I've just been shot, but I'm so manly that I can ignore my abdominal wound and still have acrobatic sex. Hooray for realism!

I am very much looking forward to the next book in this series, and plan to buy it when it comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Descent.

July 15, 2012 – Started Reading