jeremy's Reviews > My House Is on Fire

My House Is on Fire by Ariel Dorfman

Nov 05, 2008

bookshelves: shortstories, fiction

it is dumbfounding to me that ariel dorfman is not more widely read. the eleven stories that make up my house is on fire are brief yet forceful forays into themes dorfman explores more fully in his lengthier works; tyranny, violence, distress, resistance, and hope unvanquished. a lurking disquiet permeates much of dorfman's storytelling and heightens the tension immeasurably, making for an often chilling read.
since they were going to kill him anyhow, since tomorrow they would tell his mother the same cock-and-bull story the colonel had already told her about the death of his two brothers, about how each of the prisoners, ma'am, had escaped with stretcher and everything, even though they were in chains, and how the guard, fully armed, had been forced to act in self-defense, and how the body, ma'am, had somehow managed to end up, hanging from a tree on the other side of the hill, ten kilometers from the hospital from which the escape attempt had been made; since his brothers were only two of the may who at nightfall found themselves arrested in one place and at dawn turned up dead someplace else, or who disappeared in front of their houses and later died on some deserted beach; since his captors intended to kill him anyway, theo knew what he had to do; scarcely had they tied his body, already blue from the cold and the bruises, to the stretcher and left him alone with his burned skin and broken ribs, than he decided to escape from there that very night.

(from "titan")

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My House Is on Fire.

Started Reading