Josephine's Reviews > Persuasion: A Latter-day Tale

Persuasion by Rebecca H. Jamison

Jul 15, 2012

bookshelves: fun-books
Read in July, 2012

I usually steer clear of LDS fiction. However I decided to pick this one up since it's based on Persuasion by Jane Austen and I really really liked that book.
So, this book was not extremely well written. The first person dialogue the author used felt awkward at first. You get kind of used to it but it still feels awkward. Usually with LDS fiction I am rolling my eyes at the religious parts, but in this book the parts that made me roll my eyes were when the author tried to follow the story line of Persuasion way too closely and even stole lines straight from the book. That felt awkward and was annoying sometimes.
However, despite all that I really did enjoy this book. I especially enjoyed when the author took her own creative liberties with the plot line instead of trying to follow too closely to the original. I enjoyed the relationship between the two main characters and actually liked the LDS portrayal of it because I felt like I could really relate to the reasons they were attracted to each other. It felt sincere and was a believable love story. The whole book was uplifting and just an all around feel good book.
This is the first book I've bought for myself on my kindle and I don't regret it. It is one I will most likely read again some day and if it wasn't for some minor annoyances and loose ends I could have given it five stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persuasion.