readknitread's Reviews > My Life in Black and White

Jul 15, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: age-high-school, ya-realistic-fiction
Read in July, 2012

I can't decide if I like Lexi or if I want to slap her. On one hand she does live through a horrific accident. On the other I think she plays that up and is a spoiled brat. But that could just be through the eyes of an adult. I'm sure through the eyes of a teen everything is as really my life is over as Lexi makes it out to be.

Since she was old enough to remember Lexi has always been described as beautiful. People stop her on the street to tell her that. Photographers want to take her picture. Her mom wants her to be a model. Being beautiful is her whole identity.

The summer before she starts 10th grade life is good. She has a boyfriend who is respectful of her wanting boundaries. She has a best friend who is always there for her. When she turns 16 in a few months her parents will let her get a modeling contract. Life is good for Lexi.

Then at one summer party her whole world crashes around her. She walks in on her best friend giving her boyfriend a blowjob. Devastated she flees the party and lets a boy who crushes on her take her home. He whips it out and asks for a hand job while he's driving. Things go from horrible to wtf when he crashes the car and she flies through the windshield.

Lexi has to figure out how to go on with life now that she is no longer "beautiful".

possible pitfalls for book talks: Teen drinking and sex. Scattered cursing, not abundant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life in Black and White.