Renee Pinkston's Reviews > Burying the Typewriter: A Memoir

Burying the Typewriter by Carmen Bugan

Jul 15, 2012

Excellently written. The touching story that Carmen Bugan tells of her childhood and her life makes me thankful for all that I have and have been given in my life. I normally do not read memoirs, however this is a gem of a book! It is not too long, and will keep you turning page after page. The voice in this book is so inviting and attracting that I had no trouble whatsoever getting into the story and really sympathizing with the family as well as with Carmen. She tells her story very well, and all throughout it made me wonder how she kept her innocent, child-like view of everything; she is so optimistic it seems with the circumstances that she had to deal with.

I think that people of all nations should be required to read books like this in order to gain an appreciation of what they have. I think this book as changed me a little, now I know for sure that even though it may seem that I had it bad, there is someone else who certainly has it worse. I am now, so thankful that I was born into democracy and have never had to face something as ugly as what occurred in Romania. At first, it really struck me to see that the types of things that are occurring in Bugan's life were occurring in what we would call the "present day"; most of us wouldn't think that things as ugly as what I have now read were occurring within our lifetimes.

There were little bits of the book that have really stuck with me, such as when the spying first begins and all Carmen has to eat is water and walnuts that were missed by the police. It really pained me to read that and I could not even imagine what that would be like, or how they could have mentally and emotionally held up to know that people in their own village wanted them dead just because they were trying to make it a better place. I could not imagine the pain that Carmen and her entire family felt during their lives, and how the lost their lives to that pain and fear. I am sorry that I have never felt that, no one should have to. This book, and the stories it holds has left me shaken and appreciative of what I have.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burying the Typewriter.

July 15, 2012 – Started Reading