Douglas Meeks's Reviews > Dark Descendant

Dark Descendant by Jenna Black

Jul 15, 2012

Dark Descendant (Nikki Glass, #1)Dark Descendant by Jenna Black

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I finished Dark Descendant and I can see where people had a hard time rating this book. The story is compelling and the crux is that she is a descendant of the goddess Artemis. The problem is the reaction of the heroine to a lot of the things people do to her, she is forgiving to the points of TSTL (to stupid to live) and her behavior is not consistent. In spite of these distractions I think I did enjoy the book but given that much of my enjoyment of actions books fall into the "good guys get revenge" mindset I was disappointed. Justice was served but it subtly smacked of political correctness/abhorrence to violence in some ways and left me a bit unfulfilled at the end. For me this was a 3.5/4 Star read, great setting, great story, less than optimum execution of a potentially 5 Star story. Maybe I will give the 2nd book Deadly Descendant a try and see if it gets better. Remember this is a review from a male and you females might not be as needful of revenge (yea, right), if there is anything that I dislike in a UF book it is the main character spending a large amount of time getting beat up or whining, this was edging into that territory.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Descendant.

05/25/2016 marked as: read