Charlie Avus's Reviews > The Song of Achilles

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

Jul 14, 2012

bookshelves: top-books, historical-fiction, books-i-own

It is fitting that my first review is this book because it was one of the best books that I have read for a while. Having started university (double-degree with double-major) and spending most of my day reading, its difficult to read at night. Seeing this won the Orange Prize for fiction, I thought I would give it a go.

First off, I LOVED the format of this book. It had worn, thick pages that made you believe that you really were reading an epic. It was also one of those books that I wanted to keep to myself so that the magic of it would exist for myself only (selfish I know). When I was finished, I was unsure as to whether I wanted to re-read the book or sit there shell-shocked and relive the final moments.

The story details the events of the Trojan war from a new perspective, Patroclus. It focuses more on the relationship between him and Achilles (some pretty great bromance, if you're not into that sort of thing or open to it, probably shouldn't read it). You don't often get books about the sweet romance between guys which plays a pretty important role in the book and from what I've gathered the Iliad (Troy the movie definitely down-played it quite a bit). Having never had the patience to read Homer's great works I thought this would be a great introduction. It was. I now have the desire to go and read Homer's works. The book starts before Patroclus has met Achilles and details how they end up together and all that stuff. Achilles' mother is a pretty amazing character, half the time you want to slap her in all her beautiful godliness. The ending was pretty fantastic and left you with that amazing empty feeling where you wonder what you're going to do now that you have finished the book (book-hangover).

This book, fully deserves winning the Orange Prize and I hope that Madeline Miller does a re-telling of the Odyssey. It was well-written, engaging and definitely has a special place on my "must re-read every holidays" list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song of Achilles.

08/08/2016 marked as: read