Andrew's Reviews > All the Sad Young Literary Men

All the Sad Young Literary Men by Keith Gessen

Nov 03, 2008

bookshelves: american-fiction, 2000s-american-fiction
Read in November, 2008

I first encountered this book through a review in Slate, and it was of relatively little interest. Cut forward to a long, dismal drive from my sister's high school graduation back to my college. It was Saturday night, the girl I'd been seeing wasn't picking up her phone, and I was staring down the Iowa blacktop listening to a long, unhappy reading from this very book on NPR. I decided to buy a 40.

And remarkably, that's how I felt whenever I read this. It was affecting, but I can say it's only affecting because of my present circumstances: 21, in a gentrifying neighborhood in a major city far from home, working temp jobs, immature, unable to hold down a relationship. On the whole, the writing is pleasantly Franzen-esque, but there is very little progression, just some miserable sketches of people who remind me of people I know. If you're a sad young literary man, then go for it. Otherwise, I'm not sure how much you'll get out of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Sad Young Literary Men.

06/26 marked as: read