Cathy Geha's Reviews > Witness to Slaughter

Witness to Slaughter by K.A. Lugo

21182032

Witness to Slaughter by K.A. Lugo
A Jack Slaughter Thriller #2

With the holidays near this book made me happy to be me. I really felt for Jack as memories of past Christmases with his wife and daughter swamped him. Long walks with the only purpose to “get away” from those thoughts lead him to a situation the book’s title no doubt came from. I now know a bit more about Jack but also still want more so do hope there will be a book three in the future.

What I liked:
* Jack: decorated ex-cop, savvy private investigator, sharpshooter, great friend, unable to move on from the traumatic death of his wife and daughter, has choices to make that will impact his future. I like him and am invested in his story.
* Ray and Maria: Great friends, closer than family, expecting their first child. Ray is a policeman and was Jack’s partner on the police force. Good people.
* Father Nick: family priest, friend, more to him than meets the eye, and solid positive presence
* Dwayne: at risk teen, potential for the future, would like to see how he does in the future
* Chad/Marilyn: club owner, drag queen, interesting person
* Haniford: if Jack ever returns to the police force this would be a positive person to have in a position of authority
* Learning more about San Francisco, wabi-sabi décor, the difference between drag and trans and a few other things
* The Christmas sweaters, giving, gatherings, and essence of the season
* the plot, writing and way the cases overlapped and were eventually tied together
* That the serial killer was found and dealt with
* All of it really except…

What I didn’t like:
* Knowing that holidays are rough for many and being reminded of how hard some have it
* Knowing that there are people in real life that are much like the serial killer
* Having to wait for the next book in the series and wondering what will happen next…though wondering about what comes next is also kind of fun.

Did I enjoy this book? Yes
Would I read more by this author/in this series? Definitely

Thank you to the author for the ARC – this is my honest review.

5 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witness to Slaughter.

December 9, 2020 – Started Reading