Ted's Reviews > His Truth Is Marching On: John Lewis and the Power of Hope

His Truth Is Marching On by Jon Meacham

U 50x66

I will admit that in was the outpouring of praise of John Lewis after his death that made me interested in him, a name I didn't even really know. I read about Lewis's deep commitment to his Christian faith and to non-violence throughout the turbulent 1950's-1960's as he worked for civil rights for all Americans. It is probably true that much of his greatness was accomplished in his younger life as a civil rights worker than as a US congressman. His determined commitment to non-violence and Christianity and his belief in the American dream were truly awe inspiring. He remained hopeful and forward looking despite all that he suffered as a civil rights worker - beatings and arrests and threats. He held steadfastly to his principles. As the civil rights movement changed in the 1960's and Blacks became more militant and willing to commit violence to acheive their goals, Lewis continued to resist these changes and to stay faithful to his principles, but it also left him a bit out of touch with the leading edge of the Black movement in America. He became more involved in and commited to the power in government to accomplish his goals. He worked hard for and suffered for the right of blacks to vote, and then as an elected official to work for all Americans. No doubt his biggest contribution to America happened early on in his career. I just found his life inspiring and a good model for how to live as a Christian in America. His life is about making America great in a way I can understand and appreciate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Truth Is Marching On.

December 9, 2020 – Started Reading