Lesley's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

F 50x66
Jul 14, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, fantasy
Read from July 14 to August 06, 2012

This epic novel is complex and the stories are as intricately interwoven as the characters. It has all of the components of a great story, love, intrigue, chivalry, cunning, family, honour, duty, inter family disputes, revenge and plenty more.

In an effort not to give away any spoilers I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The switching point of views (pov) allows one to fully understand the characters and why they do the things they do, however it does mean that the story tends to slow down every time we change povs. This story originally published in 1996 is completely unbelievable as one could easily believe it was written recently with a view to be made into a tv series; it is easily adaptable to that format. However this switching POVs are both a blessing and a curse but it does lend itself to following the story as everything seems to happen in sequential order. Like any good epic novel there are countless characters, which initially seem overwhelming but after a few chapters when you get to know them, they don't seem overwhelming. The well fleshed out characters go hand in hand with the switching of pov.

While I can't wait to read the next novel in the series, I need to decompress before starting it. While it's relatively easy to read, due to the rich character development and well described environments and interactions it means that the story is not a quick read. Be prepared to spend countless hours ensconced into his world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

07/15/2012 page 15
08/05/2012 page 765
92.0% 2 comments
show 10 hidden updates…

message 1: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna I'm looking forward to reading this book. Mark just finished it and he really enjoyed it!

Lesley I've had this book for about 6 years. Didn't see the need to hurry up and read it until a) more books came out and b) they made it into a tv series. Usually I have to read the book before watching the movie/tv series based on it, this one is no different. The only frustrating thing is that I was given the first season on DVD and I can't watch it until I've finished this book. I hope that means that Mark has started the second book.

message 3: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna He hasn't started it yet. It's been on hold at the library for nearly a month now. I think we're just going to end up buying the series because the wait for them at the library is insane.

Lesley That is crazy. Find out from the library whether putting a paperback or Large print edition on hold would be faster. I know that at the library where I worked, the book holding was usually based on edition or binding type.

message 5: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna I've checked all of the available copies and they're all on hold like that. :(

Lesley That's crazy!

message 7: by Crista (new)

Crista Thought you'd already read these, Les!

Lesley No, but I've owned these for the last 7+ years. I misplaced book #3 on my way here and have now misplaced #2 since I've arrived. Yes I know you have all of them, I may have to read your copies for #2 and #3 as I have book #4 with me and he has that heavy @$$ book #5.

message 9: by Crista (new)

Crista They're all in the Kindle - feel free :)

Lesley Yes, I did check yesterday. :) Thanks. Is it my imagination or are there more books now than several months ago?